Friday, February 22, 2008

Disaster Preparedness

I've been thinking for a long time about improving my preparedness for an emergency situation. I have food in the pantry to last a short time, but no water, which bothers me. Plus, a lot of the food I have needs to be cooked.

According to the American Red Cross, I should have at least three days worth of food and water on hand at all times. They go on to say that the food should be of the ready to eat variety and require no water or cooking. It seems to me that three days food is actually too little based on the length of some recent emergencies. Katrina anyone?

As far as ammunition goes, I've got a decent amount for the guns that I have, but not enough to last in a prolonged emergency. As soon as I get ahead financially I intend to rectify that situation.

As for the gun situation, I have a decent shotgun and some old, but still very capable mil-surp rifles and decent handguns in common calibers. I have to say though that I'm considering selling the SKS. No matter what I do I can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn with it. *sigh*

I'd like to get peoples opinions on what consumables and ammunition I should be stocking for a "rainy day". I feel uncomfortable in my current situation, supplies wise.

Any suggestions?