Monday, November 5, 2007

Range Trip

I went to the range last Saturday afternoon with Jeffersonian. Since I am wanting to take part in the AvA (Axis vs. Allies) match at the club next Saturday, I decided I needed to make sure I could at least still hit the target.

I started off with my 10/22 and as expected, I was putting them in a 2" circle at 100 yards. Okay, no sweat... Then I broke out my Mosin Nagant M91/30, quite possibly the worlds longest rifle when the bayonet is attached. OUCH! I have shot this rifle before without a recoil pad, but it's been a while since I did and my shoulder is still aching!

I put three rounds down range and check my spotting scope. S&%#! I was hitting about 8" high and to the right (1 o'clock), this with new WOLF production and Polish surplus ammo (yes, my rear sight was on 1). Several rounds later, and holding off at about 7 o'clock, I was still not reliably hitting the black. It was at this time that Jeffersonian offered to let me use his VZ 24 in the match, with him shooting his Garand. I shot the last of his practice rounds through the VZ and managed to turn in some respectable hits at 100 & 200 yards. So it was settled, I will be shooting the VZ in the match this Saturday.

This is the first time I've shot in a match of this type, with both prone and standing shots taken under timed conditions. I'm using my M91/30 to practice with at home, and I'm already doing pretty good at getting into the position and working on cycling the bolt, though the Mauser's bolt is much better. Not to mention the trigger and sights. Jeffersonian has a Timney trigger and a Mojo rear sight on the VZ and they flat out rock! I'm going to have to get a Mojo for my Mosin and see what I can do about the trigger. As with most Mosin's, my trigger sucks!

Well, wish me luck!