Saturday, January 19, 2008

Range Day

Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor ill health shall keep the shooter from going to the range. It was cold and rainy yesterday and I wasn't feeling in the best of health, but I went anyway. Heck, I had guns to shoot and shit.

Mossberg Single Shot .22 (anything):

I got this rifle at the Barberton gun show several months ago for my son to learn on when I feel he is ready for it. It languished for several months in a gunsmiths shop when I found out it wouldn't fire. I bought a replacement firing pin and took it in, but he never got around to it. I got it back and at the last show a gun savvy guy there helped me get the new firing pin installed. Once I got it home, I pulled the bullets from two .22lr cartridges and dumped the powder. I verified that the primer fired on both and put it away until I went up to the range the next day.

Now I'm getting light strikes about 3/4 of the time, although it will fire if the phases of the moon are just right. I also had a problem of cases sticking in the chamber. No, I was not using Remington Golden Bullet ammo, I was using bulk pack Federal which I've had zero problems with.

Of the rounds that did fire the POI was way down and to the right at 25 yards. Obviously the sights need adjustment too. I'll continue to work on it as I have time and money.

One thing I found odd was the ejection. Fired cases ejected almost straight ahead of the rifle, while unfired cases ejected to the right. I've never had a rifle do this before. Peculiar, but not really a bad thing. Like I said, it's just odd.

Yugo SKS (again):

Well, what can I say. *sigh* I set out a target at 100 yards and only had one strike out of a magazine. The POI was way high. Back to 25 yards I came and soon had it zeroed from real good.

I then went back to 100 yards and was hitting high, then low after adjustment and lastly to the right. It was like buckshot...

Something I don't quite understand is going on and I don't yet know precisely what it is.

Either the scope or the mount is shifting under recoil. I've already locktited the set screws on the mount. The scope is supposed to be able to handle the recoil too, so I don't know. I'll keep working at it.

I ran out of time and was going to chrono some Mosin rounds, but it turns out that all of the clubs chrono's have either been shot, or are otherwise non-functional. I don't have one either, so I guess I'm going to have to get one for myself next month, finances willing.

All in all it was a frustrating day at the range, but it was still fun getting outside! :-)

UPDATE: Upon cleaning I have discovered the screws on the scope rings themselves have come loose. These are the ones on the bottom which connect the rings to the scope rail. The front one was loose enough I could turn it with my fingers and the rear one was rattling it was so loose.Looks like I'm going to have to locktite them too.

I originally tightened them down with a pair of channel lock pliers so I know they were tight. The screws holding the mount to the gun are still tight, as are the ones holding the rail posts into the mount. I guess another range day is in order.