Monday, March 17, 2008

Daddy Radar

At three AM I woke up in a perfectly quiet house for apparently no reason. Something was wrong, but what was it? It was then I heard the coughing from my daughters room. I got up and gave her some mucus medicine and cough syrup and hopefully she'll be able to get back to sleep soon. She was awake enough to tell me she liked "Jacky Legs" (from the movie 'Kangaroo Jack') and asked me to keep the bathroom light on long enough so she could get her blankets back on, before telling me goodnight. She's cute. *grin* Anyway, I've got to call her doctor again later this morning and try to get her seen again. She was seen five days ago for the same thing and she hasn't gotten any better. I think it's time to bring out the big guns, medicinally speaking. If you'd keep her in your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

It's weird how I can sense somethings wrong even in my sleep. It's that way also when I'm out and about, especially when I'm with my kids. Not only do I have to worry about cars and such, I'm constantly scanning the area for threats. Parking lots are the worst. Kids are impulsive to begin with, so it's important to keep an eye on them. The youngest always has me hold her hand until we're inside, where she takes her seat in the cart if it's a grocery store. My vigilance doesn't stop in fact until we're back home, not even in the car.

Some might call me paranoid, like a smart-assed Aussie blogger (what a maroon!)I read recently, but unlike him, I don't expect the government to take care of me 24/7. I guess it all boils down to personal responsibility versus blundering through life in Condition White and expecting your betters (yeah right) to keep you from harm. Some may say I'm paranoid, but I say I'm only being realistic. It's funny how the same people who accuse you of being paranoid because you own/carry a gun, will think it perfectly appropriate for you to have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms. What, are you expecting a fire? It's a cold and dark world out there and you have to be prepared.

The world doesn't care whether you live or die. It's not fair and it sucks, but that's just the way it is, and it's up to you to protect yourself and your family. Pretending the world is all teddy bears, vanilla fluff and unicorns does no one any favors and can get you killed. Even in Utopian Australia.

Stay Safe!