Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's been over a year...

...since I started The Real Gun Guys.

My first post here is dated February 26th of 2007. So much has happened since then, at least three or four major school shootings, two mall shootings and an attack on a church. Luckily, in the last one, an armed civilian was able to bring down the killer and saved many lives that day. Despite this, the anti's still fail to understand the basic principles of self defense and continue to deny that right to others.

I originally started this blog in an attempt to counteract the anti "blog" with the misleading title. I think I've done so fairly well, though there are things I wish I could go into in more depth, but being the single father of three young children leaves me little time. Lucky for me, the other blogs I read do a great job of picking up the slack. I recommend everyone read the blogs in my blog roll, there are some excellent reads in there! One thing I have tried to do is stay fresh and original. If other blogs are covering an event I will usually refrain from posting about it. If this is in error, let me know.

One thing I've been doing also has been to put more of my personal gun related experiences here instead of focusing on the news and commenting on it. If you like that please let me know and I'll try and post more of that kind of thing here.

What will happen in the future? There's the Heller case coming up soon and then later on in the year, the presidential election. As far as the Heller case is concerned, I think the court will rule in our favor, at the very least I don't expect the situation to get any worse. Clearly the districts gun ban is unconstitutional. Of course this has never stopped the anti's from pushing for further infringements of our rights. The founding fathers would turn over in their graves if they saw what this country has become.

As far as the presidential election, I shudder to think what will happen. None of the choices this year fill me with joy. The only difference between them is whether or not they have a D or an R after their name. That's it. The only candidate who was strong on gun rights, strong on national defense and strong on illegal immigration is no longer running. I did vote for him in the primary as his name was still on the ballot. I will admit to feeling a bit pissed off, frustrated and let down that he gave up so quickly. Some offer up Ron Paul as an alternative. His views on guns I like, but his national defense and border policies turn me off. I classify myself as a conservatarian, a conservative with libertarian beliefs. I have to admit, I don't feel like I belong fully in either camp. It's a good thing the world isn't black and white, although some operate as if it was. I sincerely feel that we're doomed whoever gets into the White House, the only difference being on how long it takes for the end of our rights to come. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Sorry for the rambling. Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well today. I'm finally starting to feel like I was before my hospitalization. While I was on my feet and out of the hospital within days of my operation, the full recovery has taken two or three weeks more. At least the bruises from the needle sticks in my arms have faded. *sigh* If you've read this far, thank you. I don't often open myself up in a public forum and I do tend to ramble once I get started. Take care and good day!