Monday, March 3, 2008

You are responsible for your own safety!

This struck home with me because I took my 4 y/o daughter out with me to lunch today. I took my usual seat where I could watch the main and side door and the counter while we ate. It was enjoyable spending time with her. I remember thinking to myself, "What if someone comes in here and starts shooting people?" Yes, I was carrying.

Shades of Luby's Cafeteria...

----

2 Dead, 5 Injured in Wendy's Shooting

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A gunman burst into a Wendy's restaurant at lunchtime on Monday, killing one person and injuring five others before killing himself, officials said.


The gunfire sent customers scampering out of the restaurant. Motorists at the drive-thru window also fled, some leaving their vehicles running.


Palm Beach County sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera said three of the survivors were in critical condition. Two others had minor injuries, including one person who was injured while running away.


"I just saw a lady with a little boy in her arms come running out screaming, 'Somebody's shooting!'" said Sandra Jackson, who had been getting gas across the street. The woman said her husband was still inside, said Jackson, 43, of Palm Springs.


Several people were carried away from the restaurant on stretchers. Authorities did not identify the shooter or the victims.


The mayhem unfolded just after noon during the lunch hour rush. Palm Beach County sheriff's spokesman Paul Miller said the shooter entered the restaurant and went to a restroom before coming out brandishing what appeared to be a 9 mm handgun.


Ashley Milton, 28, said she had just opened the door to get lunch when she heard the "pop pop" of gunfire and saw people running.


"I really didn't think that's what it was. I thought this can't be happening," she said. "You see your life flash before your eyes."


The gunman went to the counter, Miller said, shooting a customer before slowly turning to his left and firing on others before shooting himself.


About 10 to 15 people were believed to be in the restaurant at the time of the shooting, Miller said.

Bob Bertini, a Wendy's Inc. spokesman based in Dublin, Ohio, said the restaurant was cooperating with the sheriff's office.


"This is a terrible and sad day for our restaurant and for this community. It was a senseless tragedy," Bertini said.