Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sticker Shock

I know most of you have read about the price of ammo increasing, I know I have, but it didn't really hit home for me until I went to Sportsmans Wharehouse last night to pick up some Federal Premium Gold Medal Target ammo for this weekends "Sharpshooter Shootout" at my gun club. There in the isle I spotted a Federal bulk pack, 525 round .22lr brick selling for $14.99. Egads! This is the same brick that sold just a few months ago for $11. I walked around and checked the price on virgin .357 Magnum brass. It was $15.99, where earlier the same product sold for $10.99. Unless my math is faulty, that's a 50% increase in price for both items! It's a good thing I have plenty of .357 Magnum and .38 Special brass here at the bunker, so I don't have to buy more. I will have to buy some more projectiles next month though, and that I'm dreading!

Oddly, the price on the Federal Premium Gold Medal Target .22lr was still the same, $3.50 per box of 50 rounds. I tried to get a case of it (5% discount that way), but there were out, so I settled for the last eight boxes they had on the shelf. That together with the three (and change) boxes I had stored in the ammo locker made a full case plus.

It's not that I'm hurting for .22lr, really, it's just that my rifle is sighted in for this ammo and I've had good, consistent results at 100 yards with it. Plus, my gun doesn't like the Remington ammo, and the CCI Blazer .22lr I have is inconsistent. In other words, "Stick with what works" or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Oh, and this is what I'll be shooting the Federal target ammo out of this Saturday:

Sweet huh? It started out life as a Wal-mart special, Ruger 10/22 with the 22" stainless barrel. It's been modified with an Adams & Bennett target BBL, Fajen thumb hole stock, a complete Volquartsen trigger group (including recoil buffer) and a Bushnell 3-9x42 scope. If I do my part, it'll group under an inch at 100 yards, with groups at 50 yards well under a quarter. With the factory barrel I was lucky to get "minute of paper plate" at 100 yards. As it is, the rifle is much more accurate than I am at this point.

I'm so glad I have some ammo stored up, but there are other calibers I need. Looks like I'll be placing an order with one of the online ammo companies come payday. Let's face it, if ammo prices keep going up, I'd better get what I can afford before they go any higher.