Friday, December 14, 2007

A little of this, and a little bit of that...

I'm feeling a lot better than I was a couple of weeks ago, although I'm still not as strong as I was. How exactly do I feel you ask? Here, I'll let Ozzy Osbourne tell you.



"Back on earth (you feel me)
Back on earth (reveal me)
Back on earth (still breathing)
Back on earth (reliving)"


I was well enough to go to the range today and took my SKS along with me. I put something in the neighborhood of 80-100 rounds downrange. It felt good to get back out on the range, even if it was finger numbingly cold. The first thing I did is remove the bolt and rough bore site the red dot scope at 25 yards, and once I was hitting well I moved it out to 50, and then 100 yards.

Okay, firstly, the red dot scope has a 4 MOA dot and no magnification (nothing wrong with that), which means that at 100 yards the dot covers a 4" circle. By the time I left I was placing the vast majority of the rounds (mil-surp) within that circle at 100 yards. I'll post a picture later when my camera battery recharges. Secondly, the SKS was never intended to be a sub-MOA rifle. It was made specifically to be just good enough to hit a man sized target in battle and that's it. Yes, I'll say it. The SKS was designed to kill people. That is it's function and there's nothing wrong with that. And at risk of people misunderstanding me, that's why I have it.

May I remind everyone of the Korean shop owners (look at the bottom of the Service & the Second Day sections respectively) who defended their homes and business's during the LA riots with the very same rifle and kept the murderous hordes at bay? And do I even have to bring up Katrina? After today's range session I know I can hit a man sized object 100 yards away from me with this rifle and there's comfort in that. There's nothing like fellow rioters falling all around you screaming to make you change your course of action. If they get closer there's always the 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buckshot, the 9mm and/or the .357 Magnum.

Don't tell me I'm paranoid. In light of recent events, a person would have to be an idiot to go unarmed anywhere in public. Yes, one armed citizen is all it takes to stop a psychotic bent on mass murder. The same people who think it's crazy to carry a weapon think it's perfectly reasonable to have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in their houses. "What, are you expecting trouble?" they'll say, the obvious comeback being, "What, are you expecting a fire?"

Remember the Boy Scout Motto: "Be prepared."

Something that's eating at me a bit happened during my day at the range today. One of the RSO's (a very friendly individual) was talking to another shooter during a break in the shooting and I overheard them talking about gun shows. The RSO stated to the other that gun shows were attended by 10% legal gun owners, 10% law enforcement, and the other 80% were criminals looking to find a cheap gun. The other guy agreed and soon thereafter the "unlicensed dealer" straw man was brought up. They both seemed to think that Oregon had it right in requiring every gun sale be handled through an FFL and NICS. I interjected that in Washington, the WAC puts on the majority of gun shows and you can't buy a gun at a WAC show without being a member, and they do background checks on their members. I also pointed out that statistically, nationwide, less than .1% of crime guns come from gun shows. I never really did get a real response from the two of them. Turns out they're both employed in law enforcement. *sigh* I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out they both believed that something called an "Assault Weapon" really exists.

Anyway, I'm tired and my leg's starting to ache...and the kids need to eat something, so I'll sign off for now.

Later! :-)