Monday, December 24, 2007

Reloading Issue

I finally got around to installing my .311 decapping/expander into my brand new Lee sizing die today and started to run my brand new Prvi Partizan brass through it. I've put four cases through it so far and each one of them has the same issue. It seems the opening in the sizing die is either too small or the brass is too big around at the base. I'm ending up with a slightly shaved ring about an 1/8th of an inch from the case rim where the brass is too big around to fit into the die. As a result, I cannot completely insert the case fully into the die. I'm using Hornady One Shot case lube, btw, not that I think it matters.

I tried a sample case in my Mosin Nagant M91/30 and it chambers and extracts fine. Is this something I should be worried about or is it just a cosmetic issue?

Here's a photo:



UPDATE: Reading the reviews on MidwayUSA, it appears I'm not the only one having the brass ring shaving problem. *sigh* As stated earlier, I can't even fully seat the case. Looks like Prvi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot and Winchester cases all seem to have issues with the die. Of course I tried calling Lee Precision but no one picked up the phone. More than likely because of this being Christmas Eve, but still it's frustrating.

UPDATE II: After doing more reading on the internet, I've decided this behavior is normal for this die and seems to have no impact on case integrity.